Friday, March 2, 2012

Last Update Before We Are 4

So here we are... at the end. Or should I say, at the beginning. Today was my LAST doctor's appointment--hard to believe! They did a routine ultrasound and then hooked me up to a bunch of monitors and told me to lie still for 40 minutes--such an easy task when you've got a head lodged up in your rib cage and tiny little feet tap dancing on your bladder. The nurse came in to check on me and stood there with a smirk on her face for a few minutes before turning to me and saying, "Do you feel that?" Ummm......is this a trick question? She chuckled and said, "Well, you're having contractions." I shrugged and replied, "Nope. I just feel pregnant." I'm not sure if this impressed her or made her feel sorry for me because she gave me a sympathetic smile and rubbed my shoulder for a minute before she walked back out of the room.

Afterwards I saw my doctor and it was confirmed that our baby looks amazing. Of course it's my child, that is to be expected.. Haha, no really--everything looks GREAT. He/she is breathing like a champ, good strong heart, and the fluid was even up today. Lee will be here Monday (possibly sooner, if I start to feel these "contractions") to get ready for the "big event". We've chosen to keep the date and time a secret. You all know me, I like surprises. I HATE knowing "I'm having my kid at 3 pm on Friday" but this is just how it has to be, so instead we'll leave it a surprise for everyone else--except my mom/immediate family of course, who will have Easton. Also, we've decided keeping it a "surprise" will just be easier on us considering the process..

We've been told what to expect. We've been shown step by step where to go and what will happen. There are 3 connected operating rooms. The one in the middle is the "NICU room" where the baby's team will go in and set up everything they need ahead of time for the baby. My c section will take place in one of the adjoining rooms on the side, where they will then take Lee and the baby in to the middle room immediately upon delivery. They will clean up and put the baby in a sort of bag up to the armpits to keep all fluids and body heat in, then it's off to the NICU where Lee will go with them. They will finish closing my incision and send me to recovery. Once I am through recovery (between 2 and 3 hours later, unless the baby can go in to surgery immediately--then it will be longer), they will take me over to the NICU where I will for the first time get to see my new baby. All of this contributes to our decision to keep it a surprise. Once everything is under control and stable and Lee is able to fill me in on the NICU happenings while I was in recovery we will notify everyone. I've also had a lot of people "reminding me" to send them pictures right away. Lee is allowed to take a camera in the room where they clean the baby up right after birth..HOWEVER, the baby's intestines (and possible stomach/liver) will be outside the body/exposed at that time. I can't say for sure how either of us will feel about that until we witness it ourselves, but pictures may not be something we are ready to show given the circumstances. And of course electronic devices (cameras included) are not allowed in the NICU. We do have a photographer who is a part of a foundation through the hospital that will be coming to take professional pictures in the NICU, which will probably be within the first week of birth though. We will do our best to get pictures up when we can, but for now we've definitely got bigger fish to fry.

Next stop: delivery! Stay tuned, it's coming very soon. Until next time.. <3

No comments: