Friday, March 9, 2012

"I'm as lucky as can be because the world's best dad belongs to me."

I have really grown to love blogging through this whole ordeal. So far it's been my time to sit down and reflect on how great the day's events have been and I really hope it continues to go this way. Since I updated early yesterday rather than last night, I didn't get a chance to post that for the first time last night we got to hold our precious little lady. They told us yesterday morning it would likely be happening within the next few days but apparently Ever decided that just wasn't soon enough, thank God--because not getting to hold your new baby is painfully agonizing. She did so wonderful all day that at 9:45 we got to take her out of her bed for an entire hour. And it ranks up there on the list of "best hours of my life".




Today she has once again proved that gastroschisis statistics are nothing but numbers and she would rather not be one of them. She got her catheter out today and even pooped--HUGE progress for a 3 day old gastro baby. I actually keep in contact with a bunch of other parents of gastro babies and one has a 3 week old who just now finally got to have their closure surgery and another one who is TWELVE weeks old and still hasn't pooped yet. I am certainly counting my blessings. As for Miss Ever, her doctors were so impressed today that we were moved from the NICU to the ICC (Infant Care Center). SERIOUSLY. Most gastro babies don't ever make it to the ICC--they tend to be in the NICU until they get released to go home. And of course we are LOVING the ICC because our room is HUGE. Big couch that turns in to a full size bed, cozy recliner/rocker, bathroom, shower, you name it. There are also little areas just outside the door to lounge around and it's a much more relaxed atmosphere from the NICU. So thank you, Ever, for scoring us such a sweet new room! :)

And of course we get this nice big room now that Lee is leaving us tomorrow. I'm having a bit of a tough time with that one tonight. We've all been strong and done really well through this entire process, but my heart hurts knowing he's not going to be here after tomorrow. He is going home to be with Easton and then next week he will bring him down to see Little Miss and I, which I am SO EXCITED for! But I am REALLY going to miss him. I couldn't have asked for a better husband to have by my side or better father for my babies. I know as parents we love all our children the same, but there is just nothing quite like watching a man get a daughter. And he wanted her SO BADLY.

When Lee and I got married, he bought me a wedding band that was a solid row of diamonds. He then took the ring in and had every other diamond removed and replaced with pink stones because pink is my favorite color. Amazing, right? You have no idea. He then placed the diamonds he had removed in a little box and told me that someday we would have a daughter and he would have them made in to a necklace or something for her. This of course was long ago.. long before Easton, long before Ever. And now he has his little girl and someday those diamonds will be hers.

Since she was born he has hardly left her side. He gets up before I do to be in the NICU every morning by 5 am so he doesn't miss her doctors when they make their rounds. He knows what every cord, tube, and number on the monitors are for. He is constantly right there taking her temp, changing diapers, swabbing her mouth with milk, and helping with anything they will allow him to. Yes, we sure are going to miss him. We truly are some lucky girls to have him. Until next time.. <3

1 comment:

kulzers said...

We love Lee. He is a great man.