
What a big day we've had! I could not be more proud to call this little lady my daughter. Who knew so much strength and fight could come in such a tiny little package? She is doing fabulous and we've had nothing but good news and progress today! First off, nobody can stop marveling at her surgery last night. She had such a large defect, one that babies would generally have to wait a week or two with a silo for. But no, not miss Ever. Almost impossible to believe just yesterday she had all her intestines, stomach, ovaries, and appendix out--her closure looks incredible, kudos to her surgeon and his magical hands!!

They had kept her heavily sedated all last night by giving her what they refer to as "rock", which "paralyzes her" so she can't move as well as morphine to control the pain. Today they have been slowly taking her off all of that and allowing her to stir and move a little. So far I haven't gotten to see her awake but I am SO EXCITED for that!
Tonight I got to help clean her up and move her around a little. Her little feet have been cold so we got her some pretty pink socks and then rotated her so her feet are now where her head had been. We thought she could use a nice little change of scenery, haha. I also got to change her diaper. She isn't actually having bowel movements since she hasn't gotten any milk yet and she does have a catheter, but we still have to make sure she stays "fresh". You know how changing the diaper of a brand new baby is always a little scary--you forget how tiny they are and have this small fear of breaking them? Yeah, add about a billion cords and tubes and monitors that alert half the metro area every time you bump something to the mix. Now THAT was exciting. But I survived and am so looking forward to the next diaper change.
She also got her first taste of breast milk tonight! And by taste I mean I got to wet her lips, tongue, and insides of her cheeks with a cotton swab dipped in breast milk. Literally, a taste. And of course I was SO EXCITED. Oh the things we take for granted in life.. What I wouldn't give for a sleepless night of waking up every 2 hours to nurse this baby right now.. But we will get there, slow but sure.


As for mister Easton, it doesn't sound like he's hurting one bit. The first morning he spent at his Nana's his Uncle Tato dropped by for breakfast complete with gummi lifesavers, which Easton had to put on every finger. The next morning I got a text of Uncle Tato's version of "tea and crumpets" for breakfast, aka a king size Reese's for Easton. Yesterday I another text.. this time it was Jackie's turn to drop by and spoil him "a little". (see below)

Add that to the stories of cookies for breakfast with Papa Schultz and I'm pretty much banking on the fact that my child will never want to so much as look at another vegetable ever again. I will let it slide since my wonderful family is truly saving me right now by taking care of him. I will forever be grateful and couldn't ask for better people to call my family. THANK YOU GUYS, from the bottom of my heart. However..... if you start feeding him energy drinks, you're all GROUNDED when I get home!! Until next time.. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment