Thursday, March 15, 2012

I'm seeing visions of home flash before my eyes..

I really thought my time here in Minneapolis was going to be awful. Aside from my one emotional meltdown things have been pretty darn good. Yesterday Ever got breast milk for the first time. Her doctor told me they typically start with a feeding tube but she's done so great this far that he bypassed that all together. He went straight to a bottle, which I got to give her yesterday morning. She sucked it right down with no problems at all.


She also got her suction tube out yesterday so she has NO MORE TUBES in her face! YES! The last thing she is hooked up to now is her TPN (total parenteral nutrition).


Yesterday afternoon I was hanging out in Ever's room when I got a text from Lee telling me to come out in the waiting room. I'm fairly certain I've never ran so fast in my life. And when I got there I cried and I cried. It's truly amazing how much a 2 year old changes in a month's time. I swear to God he grew about a foot and learned about 207 new words.



Today we decided to take Easton on a fun little outing. After an entire month apart we deserately needed some quality family time. Lee got up early this morning and headed over to spend the morning with Ever while I took my handsome little man down to breakfast. When Lee got back from the hospital he informed me that Little Miss was doing so well with feedings that Dr. Mulrooney decided to up the amount of milk she gets and decrease the amount of time between each one, which is more great news!

Then we headed off to the Mall of America to the Aquarium, which Easton LOVED. Ok, I can't lie--Lee and I loved it just as much as he did. We even ended up taking him on the log ride. This 2 year old of mine is seriously fearless, he laughed the entire time. He had quite the big day and tomorrow will be yet another big day--he will, for the first time, get to meet his new baby sister!!





When we got back from our little adventure I went over to spend a few hours with Ever while Lee took Easton swimming at the hotel. When I got there I was informed that she has been pooping on a regular basis and doing so well that Dr. Mulrooney stopped by one more time this afternoon to tell the nurse to up the amount once again and start decreasing the amount she is getting via TPN.

After a few hours Lee and I switched places, I came back to hang out with Easton and he went to spend time with Ever. He was talking with Dr. Mulroony and told him about my little pep talk with Ever and how I told her that I'm giving her two weeks max and then we're going home whether she likes it or not. He said if things continue like this sometime next week is a definite possibility. Yes, I said SOMETIME NEXT WEEK is a possibility!!!!! Light at the end of the tunnel..

As of tonight she has not spit up once and everything is going great. She has even gained some weight. The absolute last step is to get her up to full feeds and get her off the TPN. I never even imagined this could be possible--we were told from the very beginning 6 weeks minimum. But I can't lie, I'm thoroughly enjoying the hell out of watching my daughter crush every statistic we were given. Dr. Mulrooney informed us today that she is actually well enough that she could be transferred to Fargo right now if we wished. We've chosen not to do that at this point because if she could seriously be going home within a week we don't see the point in flying her all the way to Fargo first. Fingers crossed for smooth sailing--WE ARE ALMOST HOME!! Until next time..

1 comment:

Kaity said...

GO EVER!! Wow, what a fighter!! thinking of ya guys!!