Saturday, January 12, 2013

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

Have you ever flown through a few crazy weeks and then suddenly they creep up on you and bite you in the ass and you realize you'd love nothing more than to fill your sink with vodka, dunk your head, and suck? Story of my life, I swear. That's how us Kuglers live - unconventional at best. I know it's been awhile but the few weeks proceeding our hospital stay have been full of transition and chaos. And as always - we face it with a smile (even if its forced, haha), no matter how overwhelming it gets.

The transition comes from this whole asthma thing, which has been a big learning experience for all of us - getting on a regular schedule for Easton's long list of meds and remembering to carry a puffer with me everywhere we go. He had his follow up appointment since getting out of the hospital this past Monday. He will need to be on TWO nebulizer treatments A DAY for the next year for sure as well as a second treatment before he goes out in the cold or does anything active/exercise related and we will carry a puffer with us everywhere we go. Yes, all kinds of fun. And holy hell are they expensive - his first month was $242 AFTER insurance. I thanked him for undoubtedly securing my spot on the busiest street corner in town indefinitely.  

In a year we will reevaluate and look in to allergy testing and preventative medication. Right now he's pretty young to be testing and the best form of treatments at this age are through a nebulizer. Asthma is a real bitch who I'd rather not have met but I'm thankful for some answers - and hopefully now we can avoid bad attacks so we don't end up in the hospital for 5 days again in the future. Silver lining - I'm still hanging on to the hope that it's still a small possibility that he could one day grow out of it.

The good news from Monday's appointment is little miss Princess Pickle gained almost a pound in the 3 weeks since her last appointment! Our 10 month old now weighs 14 pounds 6 ounces and outgrew size 1 diapers a couple weeks ago. We finally had to switch her to mainly all 6 month clothes - which are pretty big on her yet - but she's too long for the clothes that actually fit her. It always throws people off because (especially with how mobile she is now) it looks like I have a freakishly advanced 3 month old. 

As for the chaos - well, that's really just the story of my life. Easton is transitioning out of naps, which is all kinds of fun for Mom. As most of you know he has two speeds - balls to the wall wide open or dead to the world asleep. And the sleep part just isn't happening for us much as of late. Add that to Ever who is currently cutting 3 teeth at once and a brother who loves the shit out of her and won't leave her the hell alone (not even long enough to nap, he is constantly sneaking in and getting in her crib with her) - yes, makes for one exhausted mama. 

Last night Easton was WILD - cabin fever, no nap, too cold to go outside, pure evil in his eye. Ever wasn't far behind. On top of the teeth and lack of sleep due to her brother, she also has decided she needs to walk. She pulls herself up on everything and then just takes off - which results in falling 827 times a day.  So I had two wild, screaming, sleep deprived kids and that's where the contemplation of a vodka filled sink came in.. *sigh*

Oh motherhood.. There is never a dull moment around here. But I'm learning I function best when I just get tossed one curve ball after another. Not because I like them, but because I always manage to find the silver lining and something to fight for - its when we're sitting idle that all the madness sets in. Perhaps its because we've had so many curve balls in the last year that we just aren't sure how to function with normality. No, I'm not asking for more curve balls - simply stating what I've learned over the years. Either way - we'll always make the best of everything. And I know that these little shits of mine will easily adapt to my way of always coming out on the other side fighting with a smile on my face. After all - they're already doing it now without even being aware.

Until next time..
Mama A 



Easton's new bff- his neb mask

Giving his sister a ride in the snow

We're starting her caffeine habit early

This is what we do when it's too cold to go outside - make wrapping paper!





No comments: