Friday, July 6, 2012

"Sometimes the laughter in mothering is the recognition of the ironies and absurdities. Sometime, though, it's just pure, unthinking delight."

I love being a mother. From the absolute core of my being I know that is what I was destined to be. Sure I wear many hats - hair stylist, friend, weight loss extraordinaire, daughter, cook, writer, baker-Ms.-In-The-Kitchen creator.. but motherhood is my greatest love.

Today is an extra special day in our house - Little Miss Miracle is 4 months old. Now I know you may be thinking - really, celebrating by the month, isn't that a bit much? And my answer is no. Every day in this house is a celebration. A celebration of love and each other.

Four months ago today we brought one remarkable little lady in to this world in the most unconventional way. The first time I saw her I was only allowed a quick glimpse. The first good look at my brand new daughter was just moments before she was whisked off to surgery - and the majority of her internal organs were outside her body. And I vowed at that moment that I would never take my life or my children for granted ever again and I would raise them on a strong foundation of love. And that is exactly what we have done.

In this house we: make messes. Get dirty. Play tractors and trains and trucks. We read books and sing songs and tell stories. We paint. We take all the tiles out of the coffee table and line them up multiple times a day - they make a fabulous road for every toy vehicle imagineable. We cook. We imagine and invent. We make homemade play dough. We go outside. Last week it was 90+ degrees and I found a bag full of syringes from the hospital when Ever was born so I filled a tupperware container with cold water and we went outside and chased and squirted each other for four hours. That evening we had popsicles for dinner.

It's hard to believe Ever has been with us for 4 months already. Even harder to believe how far she has come in 4 short months. Sometimes it feels like our journey in Minneapolis was a lifetime ago but yet I still remember everything like it was just yesterday. I remember the smell of the hospital, the constant beep of the monitors.. I remember the sadness in my heart from seeing my brand new daughter for the first time and how scary it was that all her insides were on the outside. I remember the agony of not being able to hold her or even see her awake for days. And I remember the fight it triggered in me, the fight it triggered in all of us.

We are so blessed. It was not a fun road or journey - but I am grateful for the lessons and strength that came with it. Never take anything for granted - life is short and there are so many people out there who have it far worse than you. Attitude is 90% of the battle - you can get there by being miserable and whining and making everyone else around you miserable or you can choose to fight for the silver lining. And last but not least - when you feel like you've got nothing left, rely on love. Love truly conquers all.

Today Ever is a perfectly healthy 4 month old little girl. She is tiny - but don't let that fool you. She is one strong little shit, holding her head up and rolling around in her crib. She is finally out of newborn diapers and making her way out of newborn clothes - they all still fit but it won't be for much longer. The last time we had a check up she was about in the 15-20th percentile which is incredible because gastroschisis babies usually don't even register on the chart with regular babies. Next week she has shots and I am looking forward to seeing her stats once again.

So to my babies - Easton and Ever - thank you for the opportunity to do the best thing I have ever done in my life. To be a mom. Your mom. And thank you for the valuable life lessons you've shown me along the way. I am nowhere near perfect but I will spend every day of my life being the very best mom I know how to be because at the end of my life I want you both to be able to say "My mom loved the hell out of me." Until next time.. <3


At Hiddenwood with the kiddos


Syringe water fight

Happy 4th of July!

Dad & his babies at Deep Water

No-mess finger painting 

And today - starting the day off in the very same way we do every single day. Snuggling on the floor. Happy 4 months Ever Lucy! <3


No comments: